Read our covid-19 policy

New Electric Connections for Retail Premises

If your retail premises needs a new electricity connection, we can provide a bespoke service with a dedicated account manager to keep you up to date and help you manage the whole process.

Read Time : 5 mins

Author : NED

At National Energy Direct, we have a wealth of experience working with different industries to connect gas, electricity and water to their business premises. If you’re looking for new electric connections for your retail premises, keep reading to find out how we can help you.

Do you need a new electricity connection for your retail premises?

If your retail premises needs a new electricity connection, we can provide a bespoke service with a dedicated account manager to keep you up to date and help you manage the whole process.

As a NERS accredited independent connections provider (ICP) we operate closely with all distribution network Operators (IDNOS) to carry out work such as:

• Design - LV through to 132kV, LV & HV,

• Mains and service Infrastructure installations,

• Domestic, Commercial & industrial type connections,

• Substation installation & commissioning,

• 33/132KV substation installations,

• DNO network connections,

• Cover all civil engineering works,

• Meter installation/removals ,

• Mains/Service disconnections & diversions associated with new schemes,

• Supply upgrades,

• Feasibility and consultancy services.

Do you need to make changes to your existing electricity connection for your retail premises?

If your current electric meter needs replacing, removing or upgrading, we will work to deliver you a new meter with as little disruption to your business as possible in order to minimise downtime and a loss of earnings.

Working closely with DNOs and other industry partners, we can remove old meters, install new meters and connect electricity supplies.

Are you moving into a new retail premises and need a new connection?

Are you planning to move your retail business to a new premises? If so, you’ll need to do some forward planning as it can take some time to arrange the details of your electricity supply.

If there is an electricity supply to your existing premises, all you need to do is undertake a Change of Tenancy. To do this, you’ll need to identify your MPAN supply numbers.

Before moving into your new premises, you will need to enter into a new electricity supply contract, or you’ll risk having to pay higher variable tariff prices.

Make sure to contact your electricity suppliers as soon as possible to let them know you will be moving into the property. This is also a good opportunity to give them a meter reading from before you move in so you don’t have to worry about being charged for the previous owner’s usage.

It’s also important to find out what kind of tariff you are on, as you may automatically be put on a standard tariff, which is usually the most expensive, so do some research and shop around to find the best deal.

Don’t wait for the first bill to arrive before switching your energy supplier of tariff as this may not arrive until the end of the first quarter, by which time the charges will have already started to pile on.

The responsibility for paying for your home’s energy lies with you and claiming you didn’t know who the supplier was in an attempt to avoid a bill never works out, so it’s always best to be prepared and plan ahead so you aren’t left with any nasty surprises.

Are you moving into a brand new property for your retail company?

If you are moving into a brand new property that is currently being developed and does not yet have any utility connections, you will need to arrange these during the development stage.

Find out how to apply for a new gas, electricity and/or water connection to your retail premises here.

Are you refurbishing, expanding or upgrading your retail property?

If you are refurbishing or extending a retail premises, you may need to make alterations to your gas, electricity and/or water connections.

At National Energy Direct, we’re a one-stop shop for all of your utility needs, including making changes such as an extension to your connections.

New Electric Connection FAQs

What is my MPAN?

The Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) is unique to your premises and has 21 digits.

It can be found on your energy bill and is sometimes called a supply number- though it’s important not to get this confused with your customer reference number as these are two separate things.

You MPAN should look like this:

In this example, the MPAN would be 16 0002 6002 156

Who is my DNO?

To find out who your DNO is, you can take a look at your MPAN. The first two digits on the bottom line refer to your distribution network. Check the list below to see who your DNO is from the MPAN prefix.

MPAN Prefix



UK Power Networks


Western Power Distribution


UK Power Networks


Scottish Power Energy Networks


Western Power Distribution


Northern Powergrid


Electricity North West


SSE Power Distribution


Scottish Power Energy Networks


UK Power Networks


SSE Power Distribution


Western Power Distribution


Western Power Distribution


Northern Powergrid


Independent Power Networks


ESP Electricity Limited


Energetics Electricity Ltd


The Electric Network Company Ltd


UK Power Networks

Using the example above, we can see that the MPAN prefix is 16, meaning this property’s DNO is Electricity North West.

Alternatively, you can contact the Energy Networks Association on 020 7706 5100 and they will be able to tell you who your DNO is.

What happens to your electricity when you move out?

When you enter into an energy contract, it is defined by your supply points MPAN (electric) and MPRN (gas), which are linked to your site address. If you move out of your current premises, your electricity contract will cease from the day you leave and won’t transfer to your new address.

This is why it is important to arrange a new contract for your new retail premises, either with your current supplier if you are happy with their services, or with a new supplier if they have a better deal available.

Make sure to take a meter reading on your last day on the premises so you don’t get charged for the new owner’s electricity usage by mistake.

New Electricity Connections for Retail Premises

For more information on arranging your utility connections with National Energy Direct, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our friendly team who will be more than happy to answer any queries you may have.

Looking for something similar?

Get in touch today using our contact page to recieve help from one of our energy experts

Contact us